Originally home to the semi-nomadic Wintu Native Americans, this site was homesteaded by T.B. Fowler in the late 1800s. In 1887 he built a hotel and cottages for tourists who fished the McCloud River and those who were making their way from the Fall River Valley to Mount Shasta. Unfortunately, a fire destroyed the hotel in the early 1900s. In 1932 the Forest Service purchased the land and established a modest campground built by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The site has been a campground ever since. Today, after a recent $400,000 makeover, the campground is in pristine condition with newly paved roads, well-built grills, anti-bear food boxes, and robust picnic tables. In total the campground hosts 39 car-camping spots. Even though many renovations and improvements were recently made, the camp is still without showers. Sitting just above the McCloud River in a forest of firs, ponderosa pines, redwoods and brush, the campground has terrific access to the McCloud River Three Falls Trail, a moderate hike that will satisfy any waterfall lover.
Note: The campground is generally open May 1-October 31.