The Crown Point Campground rests on land that is rich in history dating back to the 1750s. Forts, settlements and battlegrounds were once the dominant landscape here as the struggle for control of the waters of Lake Champlain continued for decades. Situated on the western shore of Lake Champlain, Crown Point Campground has 66 campsites, hot showers, a trailer dump station, a recycling center, a small picnic area, firewood sales, handicapped-accessibility, and a boat launch. The picnic area is placed amidst a grove of tall pine trees and handicapped-accessible spots that include paved areas around the tables and grills. The campground also offers views of the Champlain Bridge that links New York and Vermont.
Guests will also find the Champlain Memorial Lighthouse, which was dedicated in 1912 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Champlain’s discovery of the lake. The lighthouse was originally built in 1858 and rebuilt between 1911 and 1912. The lighthouse wall facing the lake features a statue of Champlain as he is flanked by a French Voyageur and a Huron guide. Below the statue is a bronze bust, “La France,” by Auguste Rodin. The bust was presented by the French government during the dedication ceremony on May 3, 1912.
Construction of the campground began in 1915 and expanded several times between 1930 and 1952 to its current size. The pier was built in 1929 and has become a popular fishing spot.
Guests can visit the nearby Crown Point Historic Site where they can tour the ruins of Fort St. Frederic and the British fort they referred to as His Majesty's Fort of Crown Point.
Ten miles south of the campground, Fort Ticonderoga can be found along the western shore of the lake and is open to the public for tours and activities.