Cathedral Park is situated beneath the historic St. Johns Bridge, Portland’s only steel suspension bridge, which reaches up to 400 feet with its towers and spans 1,207 feet across. The park includes a boat dock, boat ramp, canoe launch, restrooms, off-leash dog area, amphitheater, numerous picnic tables, and swimming and fishing areas.
Cathedral Park is thought to be the camping site of the Lewis and Clark expedition on April 2, 1806. Despite its historical relevance, the park wasn’t dedicated until 1980. In the early 1970s the site had fallen into a state of disrepair, and the community raised the necessary funds for a revitalization effort. The park received its name from a 1968 Oregon Journal article where reference was made to the “Cathedral-like arches” of the St. Johns Bridge.