Located 4 miles south of Alki Beach, Lincoln Park occupies 135 acres of green space on a bluff high above Point Williams, and serves as West Seattle's largest multi-purpose municipal park. With sports fields, picnic shelters and much more, the park is most well known for its 1-mile paved path that follows the park's Puget Sound shoreline, attracting joggers, bicyclists, and those simply looking to stroll the promenade and take in the views of the sound and the distant Olympic Mountains.
The park's Coleman Pool, once a tidal fed swimming hole that became a local landmark, is also a popular feature. With its popularity increasing over the years, a more established and structured facility became necessary, and in 1941 Kenneth Coleman donated the funds necessary to construct an official pool. Today, the outdoor pool still uses salt water, but it is also heated and is accompanied by a bathhouse and public restrooms. In total, the park features:
If you are kayaking, the park also makes for an excellent departure point for the 4.5-mile one-way venture across the sound to Blake Island State Park.
Originally known as Fauntleroy Park, the name was changed to Lincoln Park after the city purchased the land in 1922. Ellinor Fauntleroy, the namesake of numerous West Seattle landmarks, was the fiancé of Lieutenant George Davidson, who was tasked with taking soundings off of Point Williams.