Menor's Ferry Historic District sits just a few hundred yards past the southern entrance to Grand Teton National Park. The ferry and cable system was built to transport people and goods across the mighty Snake River by using a wooden boat attached to a windlass and cable system that straddled both shores.
The area was first homesteaded in 1892 by Bill Menor. A bridge was not built near the town of Moose until 1927, so the ferry was an important part of the local economy. Menor was known as a surly person who liked to use swear words and a harsh tone, and he picked this spot for his ferry because it was a straight channel rather than the more common meandering path the Snake River usually takes. Currently you can see the cabin, the ferry, his filtering well, and the cables and windlass system that brought the ferry across. Maude Noble later bought the area from Menor in 1918 and operated the ferry until the bridge was later built further south. This is a great place to walk around with the kids and hopefully shed some light on just how tough it was to live in this area before our modern technologies.