Outdoor Project is spearheading a completely unique approach to publishing the highest quality information. We have created a hybrid approach somewhere in between crowd-sourced content development and paid contractor journalism similar to traditional print magazines.
Here's how it works...
We are seeking the most talented and energetic outdoor enthusiasts to add fun, informative and inspiring content to the website.
Outdoor Project is a curated publication. At this point, due to limited editorial resources, we are balancing the need for adding adventure content with our ability to maintain a high bar for quality of our media and reliability of informative content.
To apply to become an Outdoor Project Contributor please submit the following:
8 photos from your last favorite adventure
- A brief written description of that adventure (max 300 words).
1. Choose an adventure
Currently, Outdoor Project is looking for coverage of the following adventure types:
2. Submit an adventure
We are looking for Contributors to submit 3 things once you've gone out on an adventure:
1. Media (photo and/or video)
8-20 edited photos and/or a short film roughly 2-5 min. in length
2. Trip Report + Highlights
150-300 word Trip Report + Highlights specific for each adventure type (ie, trail length, number of campsites, etc.)
3. GPS Data + Field Notes
We need both tracks and special waypoints for the adventure (ie, WP 12 = Vault Toilet, WP 14 = Horsetail Falls, etc.)
3. Get Rewards/$$$
In return for your involvement as a Contributor, Outdoor Project will provide a platform where you can promote your work and you will be enrolled in our Contributor Rewards Program. Here's how it works:
1. Contributors get free Outdoor Project pro membership
2. Contributor submits adventure, blog, photos, etc.
3. Submission is reviewed and published
4. Contributor gets Adventure Points (AP)
Based on the degrees of effort required for covering different adventure types, AP for each type ranges, for example:
- 1-50 site campground = 4 AP
- Summiting Mt. Hood = 8 AP
5. At a distinct threshold, AP are converted to Sponsorship + Pro Deals from our partnering outdoor industry retailers + manufacturers.
6. Every season (winter/summer) fun Prizes are awarded to outstanding Contributors.
For example: prizes for most AP, or best submission.
7. 10% of all revenue at a min. goes back to Contributors via our Cash Rewards Pool.
Contributors with enough AP receive Annual + Perennial Units in which the 10% of revenue is split equally between Annual Unit holders and Perennial Unit holders.
Annual Units are accrued and paid out in 1 year. Perennial Units are accrued in one year, but paid out every year as long as the business is in operation.