Open Year-round
Reservations possible?
RV Hookups
Potable water
Please respect the outdoors by practicing Leave No Trace. Learn more about how to apply the principles of Leave No Trace on your next outdoor adventure here.

A once thriving logging community with over 5,000 individuals and a mill producing an average of 300,000 board feet per 11-hour workday is now the site of a national forest recreational campground named after Davy Crockett in Ratcliff, Texas. The frontiersman who lost his life when answering the call to defend the Alamo was not involved with the logging industry of Texas and Lousiana, Roosevelt’s New Deal program, the Civilian Conservation Corps, dedicated the former Four C Mill area to the Texas hero. Two CCC camps developed the campground and transformed its 160-acre mill pond that could float around six million feet of timber into a recreational area. The camps were also responsible for reforesting the depleted area.

The Four C Mill once belonged to Jesse H. Ratcliff, who immigrated to Texas in the mid-1880s in a 32-wagon train from Georgia. Once settled, Ratcliff built a mill and later a post office where he served as postmaster. In 1901, Ratcliff sold the mill to Central Coal and Coke Company that operated out of Kansas City, Missouri. The company built the mill up to 486 feet long and 450 feet wide. Today, remnants of the mill are in the aptly named Sawmill Loop located towards the back of the campground.

The Four C mill operated for 16 years until its closure because of deforestation. The nearby town of Ratcliff faced economic hardship from this, along with the stock market crash of 1929. When the CCC was in operation, the town revitalised. Never again would it meet the population or economic boom it had when the mill was in operation. 2000 census data cited the town having 106 residents.

Visitors to Ratcliff Recreational Area in Davy Crockett National Forest can enjoy swimming, boating, and fishing year-round on the 45-acre Ratcliff Lake. A fishing license is required and use only electric trolling motors. There are 59 camp sites including non-electric to full hookups (20 and 30 amps). Electric hook ups are in the Dogwood Loop.

Three hiking trails marked: Tall Pines Hiking Trail, Trail Tamers Hiking Trail, and Lakeshore Trail are short day hikes. Four C Hiking Trail winds twenty miles from the lake to Neches Bluff Overlook.

Camping at single sites allows a maximum of two vehicles and eight people per site, and a maximum of three vehicles and 25 people are permitted at group sites.

Reservations for selected electric hookup and non-electric sites need to be made two days in advance at or by calling 1-877-444-6777. All other sites are first come, first served. Group shelters and amphitheatre are available for reservation. A $5 day fee is required. Visit the website or call for camping fees.


Logistics + Planning

Preferable season(s)



Frequently full

Parking Pass

Campsite fee

Price per night (basic site)

20.00 $ (16.79 €)


Easy access. Well maintained. Day use facilities. Potable water, showers.


Heat. Alligators.

Pets allowed

Allowed with Restrictions

Managed by

National Forest Service

Reservation phone number

1 (877) 444-6777


ADA accessible
Family friendly
Flushing toilets
Boat ramp(s)
Dump stations
Picnic tables
Potable water
Covered picnic areas
General store
Historically significant
Near lake or river
Bird watching



Total number of sites


Lodging type

Rustic cabin



Have updates, photos, alerts, or just want to leave a comment?
Sign In and share them.