The Pacific Grove area was sparsely populated until the construction of the Point Pinos Lighthouse in 1855. Lighthouse Avenue was built in 1874 to connect the town to the lighthouse, and people started building between these two points to create the city of Pacific Grove. This road leads along the rocky shores to the Point Pinos Lighthouse Reservation. The lighthouse is just a few blocks away and is worth the drive.
This reservation sits adjacent to Asilomar State Marine Reserve, which encompass the tip of the Monterey Bay Peninsula. The rocky outcropping is a safe haven for the sea birds and animals. Most notably, cormorants flock to these rocks to bathe in the sun. Tide pools are abundant here, and viewing is best during low tide. No notable restrooms here, and parking is free.